It was common for the GWR to decorate the roof towers of stations (Torquay, Ealing Broadway, etc) to a standard design. These were provided 'off the shelf' by the specialist foundry of McFarlain of Glasgow in about 1880.
The addition of roof crestings to the two towers was the second Star project adopted by the Friends after the entrance canopy.
The station is based on one at Ross-on-Wye.
During research at Ross, a small section of cast iron cresting was found in a local scrapyard. Fortunately, the piece contained both a corner post and a side panel. Patterns were made and 28 panels and 8 corner posts were cast. We believe these were the first to be cast since 1900. They were hand finished over many months and were finally installed during general roof maintenance in September 1998.
|ORNAMENTAL ROOF CRESTINGS||PROGRESS|