Coal Office

This view of E.J.Hines & Sons Coal Merchants of Henwick Road, Worcs, was taken in 1998,  just before the Friends recovered the building for preservation. The coal yard site had been sold by BR to a developer who was going to demolish the building.

Three generations of the Hines family had operated from the site since before 1900 and with the building being such a good example of its type, it was felt well worth saving.

Work started in August with each individual brick marked with a yellow crayon number. Pictures and layout drawings were then completed before the building was dismantled brick by brick. These were palleted and shrink wrapped and transported to Kidderminster yard awaiting a suitable site for its re-assembly.

Backing Signal Back BACK
HENWICK STATION
COAL OFFICE
See Progress in
Magazine:
Winter 2006